Old 11-18-2011, 04:23 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Miriam, please tell how you got the 15 unstuck. I have one that is not moving at all. DH and I haven't taken a look at it yet (too many projects!), but he wants to work on it soon. Thanks!
I'm waiting for Iris to post pics - her son came for a visit so I suppose she is occupied for a while. We took enough pics to make a good tutorial. I will give you a couple hints. All I did was use up some Triflo oil - I amazed even myself. Usually I use some solvent but since Hannah is pregnant and it was cold out side I just tried oiling. That Triflo really cut the mustard. I always seem to start with the bottom of the machine. First I got a bunch of the dust out. Then I started dropping oil on anything that remotely moved. I got Hannah to drop oil and then I would move the balance wheel back and forth just a little. Then it started to turn just a little. She got a kick out of oiling. We kept oiling and looking for places to oil. Then we pulled apart the bobbin area. Those are so easy to do it isn't funny. We cleaned it up with some chrome cleaner, oiled it up and re-assembled. I made sure Hannah figured out how to do it at home. The machine barely moved even then. So we opened up the nose and dropped oil in there. She still didn't want to move much so we started dropping oil in all the oil ports- it moved but it was dragging but good. Then we oiled inside the hole from the back of the machine - We kept moving the wheel and oiling until all of a sudden she moved like a new machine. Then we put some thread in there and tried it out. I think we had more cleaning and some tension adjusting to do but Hannah left with her new prize - I gave it to her for her birthday/college graduation present. We used chrome cleaner and Barkeeper on the chrome. That Triflo went up a notch or two for me. Iris has a very nice FW. We did the same on that. She cleaned goo off the bottom. I can't remember if we oiled it or not. I think so. I can't remember if we messed with the sewing or not. The out side of her machine was just beautiful. Then I worked on her old knee control 99. It was dusty and dirty so I just cleaned it up. Then I oiled up parts that move I think. Iris got out some oil and shined it up nice. Somewhere she has some pics to show everybody. We messed around for a very short time with a Domestic - that one promises to be a treat one of these days. Then when Hannah left we fooled around with a flood rescue - it still needs tension attention. We hand cranked that thing just for fun. You can really get going on that hand crank.

Oh by the way Sew-classic has some kind of finger guard - I got one since I don't like to get vaccinated - we called that thing the anti-vaccination thing. It is very cool but hard to get the needle to thread. I think I want more than one of those anti-vaccination things though. I do know there are more accidental vaccinations with a hand crank so I thought it was a good idea.