View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
carrieg

Default Cursive handwriting

The loss of this particular skill really saddens, and irritates, me. How many of your grandkid or kids can read and / or write cursive? If you handwrite birthday notes or any letters to them, are they able to read them?

I know the kids are spending their studies on skills important for their future world & not my past world. All the on-line bill paying & use of debit cards has eliminated the need for checks. Maybe it's because I hand write pages of journals, or maybe the little bit of genealogy research I've done, or maybe because I have no kids but I only recently became aware this is a lost skill. To me it's faster to write notes than to print, but I don't have a fancy phone for texting.

I was at the gym a few months ago & overheard 2 retired teachers telling stories & it was about not being able to read her name when she wrote it on the chalkboard. Then the news reports they always do on the incoming crop of college freshman & what they grew up with or without that we old people take for granted.

I just tell myself it is a secret code between us boomers now!