Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 AM
mpspeedy

I have been sewing for more than 40 years and am on my fifth Bernina. I need to explain. I learned to sew on my mother's Singer featherweight. My parents gave me a Capital in a cabinet for a graduation present. About 20 years ago I went to work for a shop that sold Berninas and did custom dressmaking and alterations. After working with a Bernina daily I just had to have one. I was able to purchase my first Bernina, a 1260, at dealer cost so I was able to get just one step down from the top of the line at the time. I just recently traded that model in for a newer used one. The newerer models actually have a mileage feature. My first one didn't or it would have shown at least 100,000 miles or so. It was one of the first computerized models. I also own a Bernina serger and their first embroidery machine. Last year I purchased one of the lower end Berninas for under $800 dollars, ironically it has all of the features of the 1260 plus more decorative stitches. The main reason I wanted it was because it is 10lbs lighter than my older machine which was all metal. I use it for retreats, workshops etc. The only drawback of the lighter weight machine is that when I put the pedal to the metal, as I am inclined to do it vibrates a lot more than the heavier models. My newest purchase was a used trade in Bernina Artista 185 that has even more stitches and of course my favorite features the needle down position and the knee bar which I can not sew without.
If a person is serious about sewing and quilting a Bernina will make it a pleasure everyday.