Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 AM
MrsBoats

Originally Posted by Sallyjane View Post
We just had our local sewing machine repairman as our guest speaker at our guild mtg last night. Wish you could have been there! He talked lot about thread, needles, tension issues...Some spools of thread are made to give up the thread from the top, others from the side. My pfaff has an upright post and a side mounted post to hold the thread. I think most machines do. From what I understand, unless you are making an heirloom quilt, it type of thread does not matter. Synthetic threads could outlive the cotton fabric, and also over time could cut into the fabric, since it is stronger. If I were you, I would just set that thread aside and use what works. Life it too short and you have too many projects to finish (if you are like me). Enjoy your hobby ; )
I mentioned the issue to my osmg, who said much the same thing yours did, apparently. That, and keep trying until I find a brand of cotton it likes. And you're right about the number of projects waiting their turn!

Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Hi MrsBoats,
I too have a Pfaff - YES!!! my girl can be a bit of a problem too. I have found that sometimes Gutterman is the problem. You need to make sure that your Gutterman is NOT from Mexico. If so you will have problems
Interesting. I'll have to look and see where mine was made. I wonder what the difference is?

Several of the ladies at the sew-in last night have offered me their spool ends-you know, the spool that has too much on it to throw away, but not enough to really start another project. In the next few weeks I should have collected bits of several other brands, so I can see what works or not. Quilters are a generous bunch!