Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
QuiltE I like your idea of trying an OBW - in fact, I remember seeing your OBW posting and thinking it really was lovely, plus you did a the clever binding and lace which really enhanced the Victorian look.

If I chose either of those fabrics I would have to do a lot of careful cutting in just the right spots to get unique posies or hexes. Which means a lot of fabric. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Thanks for the kind words about my OBW. I've been very happy with it. It's more subtle and soft than many of the others. I'll agree with Dunster that mine has more colours in it than your two potential fabrics. However, yours have lots of shades within, so while not assorted colours, you will find a good range show thru. It will be more subtle and softer. It really depends on what look you want.

There's been some really lovely OBWs and 4PPs created with minimal colour variations. Sorry, I can't give you links, but one I remember was a fairy fabric, posted by LuvE. Another was a light turquoise and brown combo, no clue as to the poster, and the brown gave a lace-like effect. I think both ere 4PP, and certainly were stunning, and are the reasons why I think your fabrics would do a great job.

As for your comment about carefully cutting to get the uniqueness. Just continuously cut, whether for 4PP or OBW, without any thought about the results. That's the uniqueness of this technique. Every posey or hex will indeed be different. If you do a repeat of the pattern, then slice an extra inch or so off before you start your next repeat, to ensure new kaleidos are created.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, yet I'm sure those fabrics are OK ... how far apart is the repeat?