View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:21 AM
GrandmaPeggy

Default Kids say the funniest things!

FYI---I failed motherhood 101. Okay, it was partly because I never taught our daughters how to sew. Neither Daughter #1 or Daughter #2 were interested. However, I am doing better, at least in that regard, with DGDs. I have shown them both how to sew up holes in stuffed animals and have supervised the repairs they made, as well. I have taken them both to my quilt class several times, where they examined what the members were doing, oohed and aahed at the finished quilts brought in for show and generally had a great time. DGD #1 even asked for a piece of fabric to duplicate what she had seen a member do on an applique project, carefully turning under the fabric, pressing with her fingers, then hand sewing.

DGD #1 (8 years old) recently made an appliqued 12" block for a Brownie badge. I only assisted, she cut pieces, sewed and then used the embroidery machine. She posed for the required photos and turned it in to be made into quilts with all the others submitted. She said she can hardly wait to see the resulting quilts.

DGD #2 (6 years old) was able to talk DD into buying her a sewing kit when they were out shopping. It has pins, needles, thread and a little pink pin cushion! She excitedly told me all about it recently. Then, she added, "I told Mommy I would teach her how to sew!" I did not laugh, but it was hard, as she was so serious. Then, last night, DD reported that DGD #2, saw a hole in her stuffed animal. She has decided to make it bigger. . . . so she can sew it up! Kids say the funniest things!