View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 AM
krafty14

I don't think you failed Motherhood 101, you are excelling at Grandmother 101. I think it skips a generation. My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 9. While my mother could fix almost anything, replace pockets in pants, etc. I prefer making something from scratch. I taught my son how to use the machine, and he made a sweatshirt in middle school sewing class (where was wood shop when I went to school??)
I started my granddaughters (7, 10, 12)sewing early. The older ones about 5 years ago -- we made pillows. The younger one about 2 years ago -- she sews strips together beautifully.
The older one seems to have maintained the interest. A few months ago they were at my place, the two younger ones were playing games, while the older one was attached to my sewing machine. The younger ones wanted her to join them, but she was really involved in figuring out her own pattern.
Another time when she was over alone, I cut out all the pieces for a lined tote. She sewed it all together herself, padded handles, two tone outside. I see her carrying her stuff in it when she goes to visit. We are moving soon and I will be living closer. Can't wait to get them on the LAQ!!
So, it is my opinion that we are both doing well at Grandmother 101!!
Ann