View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 AM
svenskaflicka1

i suspect that longhand/cursive will eventually become a "gracious art", much like spencerian script and calligraphy. those who perfect it will be in demand in select circles, for hand written invitations, notices, and the like. but most folks will just fire up their computers, find a font they like (yes, they closely mimic cursive), and type away. then, press "print", and the task is done. it's all a part of the push to "push" that we all feel. the general population is like a bunch of lemmings, rushing toward something that they are not even sure about--but it's there.

i'm content to be a sucker for my computer--but my feet still wear luddite shoes. i want people around me who have a solid education in general, and just meeting a state's standard is not going to fulfill that. we need families who continue the education at home; parents who really accept that parenting is nothing but a huge, underpaid teaching job will be the salvation of the next generation. when the web crashes, and the "lights go out", we are going to need all of those skills we learned from our grandparents, including sewing, quilting, canning, gardening, fixing, making, creating, and *gasp* writing. keep the faith, folks. the "rush" is on, but ultimately, simplicity wins. and never, never, never, even for a moment, stop teaching--your kids, the grandkids, the neighbor kids, anybody who will listen. knowledge is power. the only way to pass on that power is to teach.

(nope. not a teacher. i'm a nurse, a wife, a mom, a grandma, a great-grandma. but i'll go to my grave an educator...)