View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Now that I've decided to do this, will y'all help me with some colour scheme ideas? I've been snooping around on line to get some ideas. I looked at the blocks that Anael has shown us and I am in awe and scared at the same time. They are so gorgeous and well made. Big ole cowboy hat off to you, Anael.

Choosing colours is not my forte. I was wondering about red/blue/green/brown/off white with a common fabric used through out. Helpppp!!!

Time to cowboy up and get down to the stash, I guess.
As you can see from the FWS, there's a real range as to what everyone has chosen, from GrannyQ's all mauve/purple to Evie's black, white and reds to JeanieG's Christmas fabrics, someone used 30's repros, some organized scrappy, others like me a real mish-mash!

For the FWS, I just started pulling fabrics from my stash that went together. Also, had no idea as to what sashing I wanted to use. As I went on and thought, oh that doesn't go with this, then I'd look for a print that had the two together, and mix them up again. When I did my first sampler, I only used a fabric twice, and usually not with the fabrics I'd used before. I started thinking I'd do that this time, with a 3x's rule or something, but the # of fabrics got too cumbersome to manage it ... the other time I only did 32 x 12" blocks, so more reasonable. I have my stack of fabrics used now ... and as I see something that might work in the quilt, I add it to another pile and then when I go to make a block, I start looking at what suits the block. I do try again to minimize the # of times 2 fabrics go together.

For Pony Club, I originally thought I'd do it all in blues, taking inspiration from GrannyQ's mauve/purple FWS. I didn't think I wanted to do novelty, as I don't have kids or grands, and thought why would I want that? Then it all of a sudden hit me, that I'd bought this piece of cowboy fabric this summer at a great sell-down price, thinking it'd be a cute backing for a kids quilt. hhmmmm? Why not use it? So .... it'll be my main fabric, and from there I'll be doing an organized coordinated scrappy based on the colours of the print with other novelties that coordinate. During a Shop Hop last month, I wasn't looking for, but found a yellow batik that couldn't match any better to the background. For now, my thoughts are that I'll use the print or batik in every block ... so it'll be a sunshiny bright cowboy quilt. I have a brown print that'll be the first to audition for the sashing. And of course, all could change as I go along!

So all that being said ... I think your colours could be really nice and cowboy'ish!! If you're hesitant that some don't go together, look for prints that have the colours in them and that'll tie them all together. And for you and me, there's going to have to be a maple leaf flag in there, somewhere! (and there's nothing saying that you have to make it cowboy'ish and/or to use novelty fabrics!)
Attached Thumbnails ponyclub-001.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-20-2011 at 09:44 AM.