View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Bennett

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
Are all carbon brushes created equal, where would I buy them if they had to be replaced. All my machines are vintage so I'm sure they need some help. I haven't sewn for 20 years and I'm not sure what to do to the machines before I start to use them other than looking at the wiring and oiling them.
Usually cleaning and oiling is just about what you need to do. Most of the machines that I use, I haven't cracked open the motor. I have just had a couple here lately that are so nasty and filthy outside, that I knew the motor probably sucked in a lot of that stuff too.

I have seen carbon brushes at a couple of sewing machine parts places, like Sew Classic, sold either as a pair or individually. I think it's one of those parts where carbon is just carbon. I haven't had to replace any yet, so I haven't had to buy any. I think as long as the little springs are not broken and they have enough of the carbon "block" left to make contact with the commutator, then they are good to go. Also, clearing off the grime helps them conduct the electricity better and help your motor work better. The first motor I played around with, the brushes were fairly worn down, but still good enough that I didn't have to replace them. That was from a 1931 White, if that tells you anything!