Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Thumbs down if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

i was reading the newsletter from one of my favorite quilts shops this morning and came to this paragraph:

FYI: IF you are buying fabrics to make quilts and to sell them you need to start looking at the selvage and see if it says "Not for Commercial Use" This means that you cannot make a quilt and sell it without the permission of the fabric designer! There is a lot going on right now with pattern designers and people making quilts using fabrics with this on the selvage. Right now there are some designers that are being sued over this! It's all over the internet right now so just Beware!! It doesn't make sense to me and a lot of people but it's happening now. You'd think the designer would be happy seeing her fabrics in people's quilts but some aren't I guess! Watch your selvages before buying the fabrics if you're going to sell the quilt!

so, be careful- and check those salvages- it used to be we only had to be careful about using someone else's designs---now some of the fabrics are (off-limits too)--licensed fabrics always were off limits- but the rest were ok- not anymore- so,
if you are making to sell- please be sure and request the permissions needed and keep your self safe from legal actions