View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
mpspeedy

I hate to keep raising the question but why does everyone assume that the only kind of quilting is machine quilting? I will admit the only things I machine quilt are no larger than twin size and they are done very simply as I make a lot of Linus quilts. While I rarely handpiece I almost always handquilt anything other than items that will go to people who have no notion how to care for handwork. Even at that I machine wash all of my handquilted quilts that I use in my home. If you are a person who likes to go to workshops, retreats etc. The larger heavier machine created with the deeper throat will be harder to move around. The added expense is something that could be used to purchase more fabric etc. I have been sewing and quilting for more than 40 years and have never felt the need for the larger space. While I love my fullsize Bernina that I use at home I purchased a less expensive model that weighs considerably less than the one I use everyday as it has a lot more plastic in it's construction. It tends to vibrate when I do my high speed sewing but it is sure easier to lug to other locations for workshops etc.