View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 AM
eparys

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
my fave is my warped board cut to fit the back of a cookie sheet...glued with contact cement so it is steady and flat now...inside the cookie sheet, i i put pc of cardboard, wrapped with old blanket and then covered with denim (my favorite ironing surface) ...then glued this all inside the cookie sheet...pin-able, ironable and cutable... and reclaimed a ruined board. I also have little ones for the end of my ironing board and inside my sewing kit.
What a great idea!!

My fav is to cut the board up into smaller pieces. I use them for cutting small stuff next to my machine, take them to sewing groups or put them into sewing bags that I make and give as gifts. I too started with one that was warped from being left in a hot car. When I cut it up the first time, I cut a 9 X 12 piece out of the warped mat and placed it with aluminum foil on either side between two cookie sheets in cold oven. On top of the cookie sheets I put 2 cast iron skillets. I turned the oven on to 200 degrees. I allowed the oven to heat and then "cooked" the "sandwich" after the oven reached temperature for 30 minutes. I then turned the oven OFF and did not remove the "sandwich" until the oven was COMPLETELY cold.

The piece of cutting mat was perfectly flat.

Now - I will be honest with you, it is not as flexible or pliable as it was before BUT it is flat and very usable.