View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 AM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
Great job - since you tried both methods, which was quicker to complete - just wondering, if I try this, time is always an issue thanks!
For this project I liked the freezer paper method best. It was pretty quick after my first run-through to figure out exactly how to do it. Here's a quick list of steps that I used:
1. Draw out the design on the right side (non-shiny side) of the freezer paper, numbering the pieces in the order they will be assembled. I used a Sharpie marker to do this since they won't bleed after they are dry and the nice dark lines would be easy to trace as well as see through the paper as I am piecing.
2. Trace each piece onto pattern paper, REVERSING it as you do, adding a generous 1/4 inch seam allowance all around. I turned the freezer paper over and traced through the back side. It's necessary to reverse it to get the pieces cut correctly since you'll be sewing them on the back side (shiny side) of the freezer paper.) Be sure to mark cooresponding numbers on your pattern pieces.
3. Place pattern pieces right side up on the right side of fabrics and cut pieces. As I cut them, I laid them out on a tray, arranged as they would be sewn together.
4. Take piece #1 an iron it in place, right side up, on the shiney side of the paper.
5. Carefully fold the freezer paper away from the first seam allowance of piece #1, creasing allong the seam line. (Throughout this process, if the seam allowance is too wide, trim it down to exactly 1/4 inch using a rotary cutter.)
6. Align piece #2 along the seam, underneath piece #1 which is still ironed on to the freezer paper. At this point you will have piece #2 laying face up on the bed of your machine, piece #1 face down on top of it, and the freezer paper folded back to just barely reveal your seam line.
7. Sew along the seam line right next to the fold in the freezer paper.
8. Take the whole thing to your ironing surface and lay it out with the shiny side of the freezer paper and your attached pieces face up. Finger press piece #2 flat and lightly press in place with your iron. Be careful on to touch your iron to the freezer paper, just iron the fabric.
9. Repeat the whole process for each consecutive piece.
10. When you're done, gently peel the freezer paper away from the back of the completed piece. Smooth out the freezer paper and re-use if you are doing multiple blocks the same.
11. Starch and press your block and square up.

I know this process sounds complicated, but once you get the hang if it, it goes really fast and, since there's no stitching through the paper, it's quick and easy to peel off the back of your block.