View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Redrover0628

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
it didn't take me long to realize that our new Subscriptions tool is superior to the old ways. it's just a matter of getting past the semantics.

1. in the old system, Bookmarks were Bookmarks; Watched Topics were Watched Topics. Period. if you wanted to Watch a Bookmarked topic, you had to mark it once for each feature.
2. not everybody who marked a topic to Watch it actually got the update notifications. my own stopped working more than a year ago. now they work.
3. old system: to see what was bookmarked and what was watched, i had to go to two different places. i can find both now, conveniently listed under my Settings.
4. if i'm watching a topic (requested emailed update notices) i can choose from three different notification options. noy so in the old system.
5. i can change something from bookmarked to watched by simply changing the tracking/notification options. not so in the old system.
6. if i have them categorized in different folders (which we could not do before; now we can by using the Edit Folders tool) i can move them around between those folders in just a few seconds.
7. as Camping Angel pointed out, you can rename your folders in any way you like and find more useful. call 'em Harry if it helps.

that's just 7 ways in which the new system for tracking threads/topics is superior to the old. i'm sure if i devoted more time to the task i could identify more.

so ...

as far as where we have to look for the Subscription tool ... has anybody noticed the other nifty features available under the Thread Tools drop-down?

could we email board pages to friends before? no
could we click to produce a printable page before? no

so.... to me, it's and to the new way. i find it much more flexible and useful than before. i hope everybody will customize it to their own needs and eventually come to the same conclusion.
Thank you, Patrice!! This is great info. I use email every day at work and have folders and folders and more folders to help sort everything out and keep it organized where I can find it more easily. It's great to have some of those features here!!