View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM
LindaM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Cellulose is a natural part of several foods such as oranges and celery. I think it is also found in most beans. Do we have someone on the QB who has studied this? I was of the opinion that almost all high fiber foods had cellulose as their fiber and it was natural in its occurance and was seldom if ever digestible. It's value to our digestive system is the fact that it isn't digestible. Without it we would be taking laxatives every day. Or am I mistaken?
There are so many misconceptions about what we eat, where it comes from. Tanya, totally agree!

I try to look at the source of the information in articles like this ... in this case, a blog by someone with questionable credentials. Nonetheless, interesting points. Looking at the actual news articles, there is very little mention of cellulose in the lawsuit against Taco Bell - they're protesting the meat % as advertised.

And this is really cool, from the Wall Street Journal: "Only powdered cellulose in its least manipulated form can be used in foods labeled "organic" or "made with organic" ingredients by the U.S. Department of Agriculture." OK, have to admit, I laughed out loud at this one! (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...196803916.html )

One of the fun things some of the staff occasionally gets away with at our local Ag college, when giving tours through the dairy barn, is adding some chocolate powder to a container of the milk of the brown cows ...