Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
I have a question concerning the Free treadle machine I tried to sew with for the first time today. It wants to skip stitches every 2 or 3 inches as I sew along. The tension seems good and I have checked the needle to be sure it is inserted correctly, and it seems like it is, but I am looking for any help you might have. I have exhausted my information from the manual and can't see any help there. I have a new needle in and am sewing with 2 pieces of cotton.
I have done a lot of piecing with my Free # 5 treadle and had no problem at all with the stitches. Did you oil everything on that machine that moves? Did you take off the face plate to oil there, oil under the bed, everywhere? Sometimes the old machines get kind of sticky feeling, like when you are sewing once in a while you feel some drag? That drag is usually the needle bar that needs oil. Did you floss the tension disk really good to make sure there is no gunk between the tension disks? Even though you think the machine is threaded correctly, I'd start by re-threading the machine and re-thread the shuttle. I'd also put in a new needle, sometimes the needles are bad out of the package. Just keep sewing to get all the quirks out, your machine should come around and sew perfectly once it is loosened up! Please keep us posted on our progress!

Nancy