Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I use my pointer finger and my thumb when hand quilting. I always start my stitches by pushing the needle with my fingernail. When I am quilting towards me it is the pointer finger, away from me it is the thumb. When I use my pointer finger I have a thimble that has an opening on it where my fingernail is. I don't use anything on my thumb and I end up "drilling" a hole in the nail. I can usually maneuver the needle to another spot on my thumbnail until there is another hole. Then I just have to wait until my thumbnail grows out enough or perform contortions with my hoop so I am always using my thimble protected pointer.

I don't know the brand of the thimble but it was REALLY expensive. I got it at a quilt show and nearly choked spending over $50 on a thimble but because it works so well I don't feel near as bad as when I purchased it. The reason it was so expensive is because it is coated it sterling silver and has some really pretty scroll work on it. You could really hang it from a chain and use it as jewelery if you wanted but better yet it is a functional thimble and the only one I have mastered using. I have toyed with the idea of getting another one for my thumb as well.

I don't use anything on my underneath finger either and just develop the callous.

FF