View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
jdavis

Wow! Some of you ladies have amazing stashes! How nice to have entire rooms devoted to your sewing!
I was lucky enough to inherit a large-ish antique cupboard. It is perfect for stacking various sizes of fabrics in the upper shelves. And I squeeze in most everything else in the lower shelves. If the stash starts to bust out of the cupboard, I try to put together a charity quilt or two. I won't provide a picture of the cupboard, because it resides in the catch-all room. I have to set up my sewing machine between the piles of stuff most of the time! Once in awhile I decide to move into the living room, but eventually I have to clear out in order to save the DH's sanity. Some day when the nest is empty, we are supposed to build a sewing room, but I will retain the antique cupboard.
Anyway, I hear you on the economizing. Even though plastics emit fumes or gases or whatever over time, they are still sometimes the most economical way for many of us to manage our stashes. Watch for sales or even garage sales.
I saw in a quilting catalog a nice sized canvas organizer that hung in the closet. I forget the price, but it was way more than I would pay. But similar organizers may be found at places like Dollar General or Wal-Mart, only they are labeled for sweaters. If I had a spare closet, I'd spend the $4.00 on a couple. I would use an old sheet or garbage bag to keep dust off, if necessary.
If you keep an open mind, you are bound to find something at a garage sale or thrift store. Whatever you decide, if you buy something wooden, you may want to line the shelves with acid free tissue paper, etc, just in case of transference. Oh, and give it a good sniff before you buy. You may not be able to cure a cupboard of mustiness, and that will spread.