View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Is the hook actually broken or does it have a burr? A burr can be polished out. I would get a second opinion. Eyeball it real good and run your finger over that hook to see if there are burrs. If you buy another one be careful. I've gotten several off CL sometimes they work and sometimes they work after they are worked on a bit and sometimes you make compromises. I now have one parts machine. I had a 599 that had a stripped thread in the balance wheel so it won't come off, it won't loosen to wind a bobbin. One hits the foot with the needle - I need to figure that one out - it's a Singer 411 (German) And one must have had someone throw a temper fit with a hammer on the stitch selector. It does not work and probably never will - they bent the shaft. I set it up so that I can use top hats for everything. It has a wonderful motor and the foot control is great. But occasionally you can get a really nice one. Expect to pay more for a nice one.
Typo it was a Singer 500 not a 599 LOL - I'm wondering if you ever got that machine fixed? If not, I would sell the parts and buy another machine.