View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Wine Woman

I always listen to them. The material when sewing should feed straight through some have a slight curve to it when running. I don't guide it with my hand let it do the guiding. Also they are very quiet and I always take the side panel off and watch the action when sewing. I also remove the bottom panel and take a good look. This will also tell you how the machine was taken care of. Feed dogs packed with lint? Lots of lint underneath?

I have bought several (8) and sometimes people don't oil them often enough so there might be a slight clicking to them. Usually the needle needle needs replacing. I would bring one and thread. And of course make sure the stitches are even. Have fun and I hope it comes home with you! I haven't passed one up yet. If you are unsure of something see if they will come down on the price.

I got a centennial for 70.00 I felt it had some issues but it just needed a cleaning and husband was able to fix the foot pedal wiring that was exposed. I did politely tell her I didn't want to affend her but all I was willing to pay was 70.00 because of and told her my concerns and she said that is fine!! I just oiled and cleaned it up and it is beautiful and a lot more quiet! I think she was thirsty for some new oil and grease.

Appearance is very important too. Make sure the gold doesn't have a lot of wear to it and for the most part the scratches aren't too deep. No cracks or pits if possible.

Please post pictures.

Last edited by Wine Woman; 11-25-2011 at 08:36 AM.