View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
lynnegreen

Jalapeno Margarita
First, you need a jalapeno simple syrup:
1 C sugar
1 C water
Rind of one orange - use a potato peeler and try to get as little pith as possible - if you end up with one long continuous strip of rind cut it into about 6 pieces
1-2 fresh jalapenos (depends on how "hot" you like things, if you like really hot add more), sliced into rings
1-2 leaves of fresh basil, if available (or fresh mint leaves, remarkably alike in taste in this application)
Bring water and sugar to a boil, drop in orange rind, jalapenos and optional basil (mint).
Simmer one minute, turn off stove and allow syrup to cool down
Pour entire mixture into a jar and refridgerate. Syrup is good for about a week.
Notes about syrup: is really good on plain greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream; the longer it is the refridgerator the "milder" the jalapenos become; you can double this recipe

For each margarita:

2 oz good tequila
1.5 oz fresh lime juice
1.5 oz jalapeno syrup
one fresh jalapeno sliced into slender rings
optional additional 1-2 leaves of basil (or mint)

In a shaker (jar, martini shaker, whatever you fancy) drop the jalapenos and optional basil. Muddle lightly with the end of a wooden spoon. Fill shaker half way with ice, add all the liquid ingredients and shake vigorously for 5-10 seconds. Pour (if you do not want the bits and pieces from the syrup or the fresh jalapeno pieces - I love these myself- strain when you pour) into lime and salt rimmed glasses

Note - this recipe is based on DH's likes. When I make one for myself I add 2 oz of the syrup.