Thread: sewing machine
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Jamerz

Question sewing machine

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my sewing machine- the one that was bogging down. A gear that moves the feed dogs is broken. I thought I was going to get so much sewing done today since my mom took my kids and my mother-in-law was coming over to help me. Both of my old machines are broken. The Singer Stylist 534 has a broken gear $75 to replace and my Montgomery Ward Signature machine kept breaking the thread $49.95 for the shop to recalibrate to settings since we couldn't figure it out. After I dropped off my machines, I went machine looking. So here is my question do i need to think about investing in a new machine? I looked at Wal-Mart and a local sewing machine shop. Wal-Mart did not have anyone in the craft department for me to ask questions. The Sewing machine shop had Janome 7330, Janome dc1050 and some other models. The guy helping me said that any machine under $400 has plastic gears that will break the first time I hit a bump. I want to be able to sew straight stitches, but be able to quilt/sew a variety of thickness and possibly some decorative stitches. Should I shop for another machine or fix my old ones and make due?