View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 AM
teddysmom

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
I personally would spend that money on more backing or fabric. I use plastic clamps from Lowe's Hardware Store to clamp the backing first to my cutting table (can't and won't get on my knees anymore and saves my back too) then lay down the batting and smooth and clamp it down then the top. I then pin generously and move the whole thing as I need to(making sure there are no wrinkles in the backing as I go) and continue until the whole quilt is generously (key word) pin basted and then I remove the quilt, get comfortable and start at the center and work my way out to the edges. Works for me...lol!

When I do the sandwiching like this I start in the center and work my way out to the edges. Yes it takes a lot of pins but it is worth it because when you are done quilting you don't have to spend time taking out the pins. You remove them as you quilt.
Thanks for the advice. I need to go to Lowe's and find the clamps. My space for laying out the quilt to sandwich is small (2 tables pushed together) so it sounds like this would be a good way for me to sandwich my quilts. I've tried taping the backing to the tables but the tape doesn't seem to hold the material tightly enough. So, this is what I'll do when my quilt top is finished (probably early spring). Thanks again!!!!