Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Holice
Banned

What size needle are you using?
Hate to say it but I believe your frame is part of the problem, especially for the beginning quilter as it is difficult to get it adjusted just right. You need flexibility in the layers and it is difficult to get it in the way the frame works.
I have always had difficulty getting the wooden frame to hold the layer consistant.
I like the 14" no slip hoop available at stores and shops. The way the inside of the ring is constructed allows the layer to remain constant when you get it set. Many of my students switch when they have a class with this hoop.
A coupon makes it more reasonable price.

I will put the sandwich in the hoop, smooth and make it really tight and then loosen it so I have the flexibility needed to get easy stitching.

Also, the suggestion above is to do only one stitch at the time. Don't try to fill the needle when you first start.
The important thing is to get the needle thru the layers and back up in a consistent way.

Start paracting with1/8" gingham check (an only find blends now) but will give you lines and spaces to work on. And in practice use a constracting thread so you can see your stitches.