View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i used dream green-the recycled bottles batting---7 or 8 years ago on 2 kids quilts- it has held up well- through tons of use- and washings/dryings- it was nice to work with and still drapes beautifully=
my favorite batting is Wool---the Dream wool is by far the most wonderful batt i've ever used- the Hobbs wool is nice also- the wool batts are wash/dryable- quilt beautifully- wonderful loft- are soft/cozy- warm- oh -in my book there is nothing on the market better! if i could afford it all of my quilts would have wool batts.
i also love the dream orient, Dream bamboo, Dream poly...the batts from the dream company are wonderful-
i very very seldom use warm & natural- unless a customer brings it in- and if they ask first i recommend (anything) else.
i use different batts all the time- each quilt is it's own (personality) and deserves the same consideration as i put into the top and the backing-use/function/care/and recipient all are considered before the decision is made- including how much i want to put into it. normally though i use the best quality batt i can afford at the time. the dream green batts are great for utility/kids quilts- they hold up well- go through multiple washing/drying-- can be (dragged around) for years.
the quilt on my bed has dream wool- it gets washed//dried probably 4 or 5 times a year- i love it when it comes out of the dryer- it is so soft- fluffy and ---huggable! it still drapes/looks as good as it did 4 years ago when i made it.
the bamboo batt (ed) quilt i made my daughter 4 years ago is holding up very well- it travels all over the country with her-(her car quilt it seems- her hubby is in the military & they are always on the road) it also gets laundered often.
i always suggest to new quilters to try new batts when they come across them- read the packaging--if it meets your requirements (for quilting plans-and care) try it out- keep a journal=so you know later the ones you hated- and the ones you love. ... where you got them, how much they cost= the fiber content- the quilting recommendations (some have to be quilted very densly (like every 2") others allow up to 10" between quilting lines- it's important to follow the guidelines. some are good for hand quilting-others are best suited for machine- some are good for tied quilts---it is important to read the package! but try them all