Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Shoofly1

Found this recipe last year in "The Food You Crave," by Ellie Krieger. It's one of my favorites.

You know someone is a big fan of leftovers when they cook extra just to be sure to wind up with them. Guilty as charged! Whenever I make my Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast, I pop a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven and I make sure I have enough turkey left over to make this simple, yet outstanding, hash the next morning. It makes a perfect sweet-savory, herb-perfumed bed for poached eggs. I don't know what is better, the moment I break the egg and watch the yolk flow decadently over the hash or my first satisfying bite.

Turkey Breast and Sweet Potato Hash

2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1-1/2 cups diced roasted turkey breast
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp white vinegar
4 large eggs
hot pepper sauce for serving

Preheat the oven to 400*F. Bake the sweet potatoes for 40 minutes; cool, peel, and dice.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme and cook, stirring until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, turkey, salt and some pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown, about 3 minutes longer. Add the broth, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pan. Keep warm while you poach the eggs.
Fill a saute pan with 1-1/2 inches of water, add the vinegar, and bring to a simmer. Break 1 egg into a small bowl, then carefully pour it into the water. Repeat with the remaining eggs, spacing them so they do not touch. Poach at a gentle simmer until the whites are firm but the yolks are still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. with a slotted spoon transfer the eggs to paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the hash between 4 plates and top each serving with a poached egg. Serve with hot sauce.

Serves 4. Serving size: About 1 cup hash and 1 egg.