View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
I bought a Featherweight yesterday, (I posted about it in the Featherweight Club thread; post #917) and now I have a cleaning question. In the picture you can clearly see there's some sort of edge in the finish, where something is worn away. What I can't decide is whether it's tar/nicotine (the faceplate was brown) and I should work on getting it off, or is it the finish and I should leave it alone? FWIW, the decals in the worn spots are paler (although not silvered out) than they are elsewhere, and I can feel them. All of which leads me to believe that's the finish and I should leave it be. All I did when I cleaned it was wiped it down a couple of times with sewing machine oil-I didn't want to do more until I figure out whether I should or not.

Otherwise, she runs like champ. I removed a ton of red fuzz from the feed dogs, then oiled everything that moved yesterday. We had a talk this morning about missing stitches, and not eating thread like that (GIANT bird's nest on the back, stuck in the needle hole), and when I went to adjust the tension, the whole thing popped off in my hand. So since it was off, I cleaned the discs, then I followed the directions for putting it back on. Since then, there have been no problems. We've been sewing all afternoon.

Any thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom?
----there are lots of cleaning methods out there. you have to steer clear of the decals with almost all of them. gojo hand cleaner(without abrasive !!) works well. do not use WD40. go gently. it looks like the clear coat is wearing
off in spots. nothing to do short of repainting--a tedious job left to pros. always turn the FW handwheel TOWARD
you. always hold onto the thread tails as you start a seam. those are the two worst offenders for snarls.
Enjoy ! read your manual, it is all in there.