View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
AshleyR

Default WOW! I still can't believe my luck

Only two months ago, I had a 3-year old cheapie Singer that was collecting dust. It was so bad (and I lost all the parts with it in a move) that I started fresh with a cheapie Singer that my husband got me for $20. I had an old Kenmore in a cabinet that was left in our house. The needle on it wouldn't move so it's an awesome (altho ugly - avocado green!)door stop! It weighs about 3 tons. But I kept the cabinet to use as a table.
I caught the sewing/quilting bug and wanted another machine, so I got a 40-year old Elna that I just loved. Then I found a deal on a Juki with the machine frame and carriage and sold the Elna. Then I decided I didn't like the frame and put it on Craigslist (no bites yet) but wanted to keep the Juki. I really don't sew or quilt enough to really justify having a $700 machine, so I've been looking for something else....
I do a LOT of hand quilting, and I have fat fingers. After a while, my thimble starts to dig into my cuticle and hurt and slow me down (or stop me!).
Today, we were out "antique-ing" and I found a whole cabinet full of collectible thimbles. Most of them were porcelain or not useable at all. But I saw 3 of them that intrigued me! I had them open the case and I looked at these that I was drawn to... they are pewter and large! They also have really nice, big "needle holes" and can be used! I don't know the story behind them, but they are plenty big for my giant finger with room to spare! I'll have to pad my finger or the thimble and it was only $5!! It has cool engravings (horses? deer?) on the sides too!
At another store, I found a pretty purple Kenmore sewing machine. It didn't have a price on it. It was in a box-stand-thing. I tried it out, and when you turned the wheel, it wouldn't move the needle But then I realized that the bobbin winder was "on", so I turned released it, and it cranked!! I plugged it in and it fired right up so we brought it home. It is in good condition. A bit oily and dusty and has some scratches. However, I'm in love with the color. And it fits perfectly in the cabinet that the avocado monster came out of!
So in two months, I'm on my 6th machine!! Seven, if you include the embroidery machine! I hope I'm done for a while!!
Attached Thumbnails photo-5-.jpg   photo-6-.jpg