Thread: sewing machine
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Dolphyngyrl

Originally Posted by hopingtobegood View Post
Ladies, sorry to disagree, but for someone that basically wants to do only straight stitching plus up to 100 decorative stitches, I strongly recommend the Brother machines from Wal-Mart at $199.00, not the 149 or 79 ones. The 199 ones have included a walking foot, a 1/4" ft, a quilting foot, quilting guide and many many embrodeiry (sp) foot attachments
inc luded in the 199 price. I have a top of the line Kenmore and Singer and they do not measure up to the Brother machines. They are not the fancy Bernia, Phaff, Janmome, etc, but for a beginner, they are wonderful and truly a great investment. I have three of them different amenities, (only because I have two different living houses)but all
are quality, dependable and truly workhorses. I agree the experienced and real quality quilters have better machines but until a newbie gets really advanced the Brothers are the best bet for the money....no offensive, just a different viewpoint to consider....
I agree with you completely, I have had the brother machines, even refurbished ones with the plastic gears for years and they work awesome, for a novice quilter who is not doing it professionally they are perfect for the price and they can upgrade later and use those for classes. I have purchased from walmart, a refurbished from overstock, and all are working fine. I even have one that I gave to my MIL almost 20years old that she has been sewing on like crazy, and yes it has plastic gears, never been in the shop. My refurbished one is over 5 years old, never been in the shop. I just got the one from walmart a few months ago, but like I said have had cheapo brothers for years, never been in the shop.