Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Canada Kate

There are some appliances that I seem to have to chronically replace: toaster ovens, hair dryers and irons. Has there ever been an iron invented that takes regular tap water and doesn't leak? Me thinks not. I am ready to retire my three year old Sunbeam Master. It says under the logo "Drip Free". It's not (but it's not the worst I've ever had.) I found I had to fill it up several times per hour when using the steam (which I always do). It has the retractible cord which worked for about 2 retractions and then only went about half of the way back in.

A couple weeks ago Canadian Tire had the Shark X-Tended Steam Burst on sale for 60% off, regular $99.99 on sale for $39.99. I used it for about 3 hours straight last weekend and an hour this weekend, and so far, so good. The plate is really smooth and the steam is good. It holds a lot of water and doesn't seem to run out frequently.

I also bought a small, no-name iron at Loblaws to take to classes for $10 three years ago and you know, this little guy is a real work horse. When I'm quilting, I keep it on the kitchen table on my mini-ironing board to set seams and for the constant pressing you need to do when making a quilt top. It has good steam but if you tip it over, or if it accidentally falls on the floor, all the water runs out as there is no cover for the water resevoir.

About a year ago I got fed up with the big iron falling off the big ironing board and bought a board on sale that has the metal iron rest on the side. Best thing ever. I just wish it had a spot to hold the spray starch can as it falls on the floor regularly.