View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Anna.425

I no longer stash in the formal sense of the notion. I used to be an Assistant Manager at Fabricland and of course had a stash that would rival any stash in the world. Then DH and I moved. I teased him about moving all of his fans (the man does not do heat well) and he teased me about my fabric boxes. After the move for some reason I realized a few things. 1) that if I got hit by a bus DH would be saddled (lovingly so) with a dog and 3 cats that he never wanted but had supportively accepted in his life; and 2) he would also be left with a hoarder's collection of fun stuff in my sewing room. Now I am not planning on going anywhere but I am married to the most wonderful DH and apparently I needed a brick to hit me in the head to realize how my habits and life would affect him. So, my solution....

I sewed up my stash and since then I only purchase fabric for specific projects. I do have several projects in the bullpen and I organize my fabrics by project. I have a series of plastic tubs that each project goes into for seasoning. When I finish one project and if I have yardage left I recycle the yardage into other projects that I might not have all the fabric for yet. If I have scraps left over I trim them into either squares, strips or triangles for inclusion in scrappy projects. I only allow myself two scrappy bins before they have to be made and emptied.