View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
NanaCsews2

You are most definitely not alone. I used to do it all too for everyone, then realized I do it for ME. I start with a list too. The big dinners, the cookies and bars, the gingerbread houses, the lights, the whole house decorated (even Christmas quilts on every bed) all the cleaning and scrubbing. Everything in its place when it needed to be. My Dad loved Christmas and everything that went with it and I think I inherited it from him. I have toned it down over the years, to clean out older items and bring in new interests and ideas. But what really got me letting go of stuff and having to do it all? The criticism. From MOL, from DH cousin and his brother, and now my son's inlaws. People can be cruel. They just think they are 'helping' by telling us so and so does this or that, when in reality they are speaking to me about my home. It has caused many tears and heartache hearing and being told I didn't need to do it and can you believe what so and so does to her house (I was doing the same-merely putting sprigs of fir on the mantle and the railings. hmpf!) Well, funny thing they all ate the food and enjoyed the goodies though and admired everything done. After losing a job, and family being ill, your priorities take over and it is amazing that Christmas tends to get toned down because it really isn't about having to do it all. Now, I have simple themed family and living rooms and put on some music. I will not let go of my Dad's traditions of having lights on outside or the goodies baked or Michael Buble' (he had Frank Sinatra) playing throughout the house. My new tradition started years ago is to have something quilted to add to my decorations every year. Best wishes to you and your traditions!