Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 PM
zyxquilts

The first quilt that I drew out the design myself was flying geese in rows...pin, pin, pin! Then I didn't have enough black fabric for the back & I was determined not to go back to JoAnn's to buy more, so I decided I would use some of the leftovers from the geese. I cut them into rectangles, about 1" X 1.5", I made the color pattern match the geese color pattern on the front Can't remember off-hand how many there were, but maybe it was 20" X 24"...lots of them anyway.....and THEN I realized I would have to match ALL THOSE CORNERS! :shock: I didn't know about nesting my seam allowances yet or using the 2-pin method. I sewed & unsewed over & over & got SO frustrated that I finally resorted to hand-sewing EVERY intersection, THEN machine stitching them! PHEW!!!
I have relaxed a LOT since then - I pin sometimes, don't pin at all other times. I try to nestle my seam allowances so that the one on top is pointing away from me as I sew & let the machine do the matching work as the presser foot will force them together! :D