Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
No didn't see a match. Here's a number you can try, I believe it's for Janome who own the New Home / Free name: New Home Dating: 1-800-631-0183. Also noticed some Free manuals in ismacs.net if you need one and there is a model "C" manual, perhaps the C in your serial number stands for that.
Jon
Nancy, Jon is right Free operated from 1910 to 1958. The 'C' is something I have been trying to figure out for a while now. Several people on here have a Free treadle, including one of my best friends. Some of the treadles have a 'c' in the serial number and some do not. The machines look identical. The best I can come up with is that the 'c' signifies the machines that were made at the Chicago Factory as oppossed to the Rockford factory. In 1927 Free mergered with the New Home company, then in 1953 Free merged with National. I have researched the Free since I got my machine and I don't think any of our treadles are newer than 1927, when Free and New Home merged. My Free has the serial number C83642, and I had original paperwork with the machine that dates my Free 1913. Your serial number is a larger number, which means it has to be a later machine than mine, but I'd bet it is younger than 1920. Wish I could help more, but you are not going to be able to date the machine exactly unless you have the original receipt. I don't know if there is a Yahoo Free group?

Nancy