View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Pam B

You should not feel guilty. I once heard a speaker say that we should all stay out of the stores and away from magazines from Sept through Dec. The marketing of the holiday season is an assault on the senses. And, I think everything is an attempt to make one yearn for something we all feel missing from our lives.

DH and I have cut way back this year. We decorated while our daughters were home over Thanksgiving and what did not get decorated simply will not get decorated. My shopping is finished. Again..we cut way back. Instead of spending in excess of 3K on our family gifts, we are buying each of our married children a gift for their home and just a couple 'personal' gifts. Our youngest DD (a college senior) is getting things for her apt and some gift cards for new clothes. DH and I are not exchanging gifts (instead we are getting new furniture and going to Hawaii in Jan). The month of Dec is generally a blur...DH and I are always invited to several Xmas parties for his work (he is a regional manager so he gets invited to 6) and also my staff party. This year I am only going to 1 of his parties and my own staff party. In talking with our extended family over Thanksgiving, it was determined that everyone is tired of the mammoth gift exchange. We will get together with our loved ones for dinner and fellowship...no gifts. I am not going to knock myself out baking and candy-making, either...I am the one who will snack on it and that pretty much is contradictive of my going to Zumba three times a week! LOL

No, I/we are not being Scrooges...Christmas is my most favorite time of the year. Somehow, I just don't get how people running out to spend themselves into debt has to to with honoring the birth of Christ? I just want to celebrate by having my children/spouses at home for a few days.