View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Lisanne

Thanks for all your answers!

The salespeople I've spoken to make it sound like low-end machines are made so poorly, they'll break right away. How much of a difference in quality have you noticed with machines with plastic vs. metal parts? Bobbins for example.

Prism99, your suggestions of features I might really want is very, very helpful. I don't need every fancy stitch, but I do want a certain level of functionality. Your info is a great guide!

MadQuilter, thanks for the link. Those reviews will really help.
It's not that I have a list of requirements. I'm trying to keep that to a minimum because I do have a price limit. Mainly I want a reliable machine. Once I know what I'm doing on a basic machine, then I'll probably have that list of requirements.

marsye, thanks again! Nine years works for me.

Darlene, I'd love to just get one from Wal-mart. Years ago I got one for $99 from a Wal-martlike store and the thread immediately tangled in the bobbin area and somehow broke something... I thought it was my fault, but too many people have told me over the years that that is common with cheap machines. I'm trying to avoid that happening again. Though your post and marsye's are reassuring.

Moonpi, thanks for reminding me about Sears! Of course I was aware that they have sewing machines, and Kenmore is a reliable brand.

Skeat, I'd never even heard of Janome until a month or so ago, but everyone I talk to who has one seems to be happy with theirs.

If anyone has other suggestions about features I really need, I'd like to hear them. Also more experiences, good and bad, with your machines.