Thread: Mug Rug Bug
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM
agoldencomet

Thanks for your kind words - and to all others, too! Your encouragement is great!
These mug rugs are such fun to make. Mine are approximately 6x9 finished. So a 6x6 block with added 3x6 side strip works well. Or 1.5x6 added on each side. Great way to use up those practice blocks. Some ended up more like 5x9 or even 6x10. It all depended on the fabric, etc. I have also seen them made by "birthing" (turning them inside out) but I love to bind. Many I bound in the traditional way by stitching the binding on the front (mitering the corners) and hand "hemming" them on the back. A few I did in reverse, sewing on the back and then top stitching on the front using a stitch that matches some of the quilting. I did not like the banket stitch one done like this but the others I liked because the stitching was not so intrusive. Also, I use my iron a lot when binding; it helps get the corners nice and the binding width even.

I'll be trying some other ones for other seasons and friends' interests. But for now it is Crazy Christmas Craft time!!

Thanks for your interest. And good luck. Be sure to post them!!

(I'd love to have you as a blog follower, btw. http://goldiesrambles.blogspot.com/ )