Thread: narrow borders
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Anna from Oz

Thanks for bring up this topic Quiltlove. I had never thought of that, and it certainly would give a zing to a cot quilt I am making at the moment.
Bear with me here girls - Do you use this narrow "piping" between borders? Cut it about 1 inch wide?

I've already sewn my border on the cot quilt, the top is quilted, would I be able to put this piping on the four outside edges now, and then sew on the binding?

There are three layers now, I was wondering if that would make it impossible to do. My binding for the cot quilt is the same material as the final outside border of the quilt, this is 4 1/2", and because I don't live near shops, I will have to cut the same material as the final border for the binding, which I am making 1 inch finished binding. That piping would give a good zing between the two fabrics that are the same! (well, I thought so)

I am a visual learner only , so always a big thankyou for screen shots, but also, I appreciate just plain written instructions too......

AliKat
what you call a flange foot, I wonder if that is what us Aussies call a piping foot.
Best Press? Is that a type of starch??? I do recall reading about a substitute for Best Press using Vodka.......but maybe I am just getting my facts mixed up........it happens.......

Deemail - I will go through and read and absorb your Ginny Beyer Zinger. Thank you everyone else for posting, I have learnt something else today - now it's whether or not I can do it neatly.
Anna Australia