View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 PM
DogHouseMom

Default Questions about quilt show judges

I have not yet entered a quilt in any kind of show, but I am working on one now that I think I might enter in a juried show (if it continues to go as well as it is going *tonight*). I have a background in dog shows, so I'm no stranger to entering shows, and the concept of subjective judging. I'm also not expecting much other than a critique (if offered at the show).

In dog shows, we know who the judge is well in advance (about a year), and most of the time we know what the judge likes or dislikes - and we can base our decision to enter that particular show under that particular judge. For example, one judge I know calls herself "the tooth fairy" and will not place a dog with a missing tooth or any other dentition problem. Us dog show people know this and if we have a dog with a bad tooth, we don't enter under her. Why waste the entry fee (and travel expenses!).

I looked at several entry forms for quilt shows, and online announcements etc. and no-where can I see that judges are announced prior to the event - heck ... I've rarely ever seen who the judges were AFTER the event.

So ... are judges ever announced?
Do quilters enter shows knowing who is going to judge their quilt, and enter (or not enter) accordingly?
Do quilters keep a record of what judges like or dislike? Dog show people keep copious and detailed notes!

One more question about judging.

Are judges allowed to use weapons ... err ... I mean tools (rulers) to actually measure the detail work? I know they measure the total size of the quilt in contests where sizes are stipulated. I'm talking about the "detail" work of the quilt. Will they measure quilted ruler work to make sure that all the lines are exactly 1" apart, and measure blocks (and parts of blocks) for uniformity? Or do they just eyeball it?

I know my way around dog show judging, what they can and can't do, what they might do, and what they have done in the past. Would like to compare notes about quilt judges (not individual judges, but judging in general).

thanks