View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Lori S

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Lori,

From your answers I have two more questions.

In the first paragraph you said that comments (if given) may come as "Judge 1". So presumably the quilts are judges by multiple judges? I knew that there are multiple judges at a given show, but I thought each judge had an assignment of "Bed Quilts" and another "Wall Quilts" - then perhaps they all vote on the Best in Show etc. No?

Comment: Not always some do use a single judge for a "category" but the many do not especially a larger one. And even if there are for example 3 judges for a category , you may only get comments from 1 or 2 or maybe even none at all. The judges comments are typically optional .. not required of the judges.

In another paragraph you mention that some competitions have a reputation for certain things like traditional quilts. This would indicate that either they hire the same judge(s) year after year, OR they are giving the judges instructions as to what they want (or what is preferred). Do you know which it is, or is it both?

Comment: If they do not indicate in advance the judges , you just don't know if they have changed the mix of judges... and the overall "flavor" in favor that year. Some I can almost guess at the ages of the judges as the comments on method are confined to a 'era" of quilting.

So far the only similarity I see between quilt shows and dog shows is that the process of choosing placements for quilts is a subjective matter given to the knowledge, preferences, and whims of the individual judge.
Comment: Just a thought- You are entering the most "Quilt Police" intense arena ! .. but only they know the rules/laws, or the weight or penalty of infractions.

Last edited by Lori S; 12-01-2011 at 07:56 AM.