Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Panchita

I just finished it today. I'm a bit unsettled.

I have loved all of the previous books, but this one felt rushed. I noticed a few errors/inconsistencies with what had been said about characters before, which 'threw me out' of the story. But mainly the impression I had was that it was as if the publisher has said ' You've got one more book - tie up all the storylines now'. It was like a synopsis of what she might have written over the course of several books, so - to be very blunt - I feel a bit cheated.

I guessing that this was written at the same time as Sonoma Rose (which sounds like a historical dealing more with characters from the Elizabeth-moves-West storyline) and wonder if that resulted in the rushed effect since Sonoma Rose is due out within a couple of months (in England anyway).

Before reading I had been a bit concerned about the 25 year jump - but hoped it was just a writing device to be used in a way similar to the historical time jump that has been used in the past. However, I cannot now really see how she will be able to do any more books relating to what I think of as the 'modern day' characters - we know what happens to each of them now. But then, I am not an author - maybe she has ideas in mind.

I do hold out hope that we will get a book based on Sylvia's journal. Sylvia being my favourite character.

I would be very interested to hear the impressions of others - am I off track here?!?!!??