Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

Welcome Jillaine!!
I understand the color decision making... Actually I wouldn't worry about it ending up ugly - I'm sure it will be gorgeous! Consider the original Jane - made of scraps of fabric of the times. It looks incredible. I think perhaps you need to decide on the background - do you want it to "pop" out of a stark white or off white? I'm assuming here that most scraps will look better on the light than dark - although Chocolate Janes are equally stunning. You will have very small pieces of your scrap fabrics showing up per square - these will be small enough that you can be real particular about fussy cutting by auditioning sections of your scraps [what I often do is make a paper copy and cut out the piece of paper to make a window.] Or you can simply decide to just cut away and what will be...Even the background fabrics don't have to be exactly the same fabric, although the same tone will tie it together more. This is where your quilt will become cohesive - it will hold the scraps together and unify them. The squares are small enough to where even a fabric that differs substantially won't necessarily pop out offensively.

I will put some additional paper piecing tips online before we start in January.