Thread: Do you remember
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
weasier22

My Mom was fabulous at sewing! She was sewing way before the three of us kids came along. We lived in Queens Village, NY and I guess I was too young to remember her making our clothes, living room drapes, etc. She also made clothes for people with special needs. One was a hunchback and the other a midget. She was so generous no matter what she did. I do remember her sewing when we moved to the country to live. I was 5 1/2 then. Mom made all of our clothes. She even made suits for my brother...he being the oldest. My sister & I always had matching dresses! Every holiday we had new outfits and we loved them. Mom was only 4'11", so she always made her own clothing. She taught sewing in 4-H. That's were my sister & I started to sew. Remember the simple aprons? Just a rectangular piece of fabric with a casing at the top for a round piece of plastic to slide through and we had a gathered apron! Then when I was in junior high, we took sewing classes in home economic classes. That's when I started to make clothes for myself and my sister. I've been sewing ever since and loving every minute. I have my Mom to thank for my love of sewing. Knitting and crocheting also. She was a special lady and had a wonderful talent. She used it well and shared it with everyone. She even made my classmates wedding dress because she couldn't afford to buy one. Mom bought flocked curtain material which had a scalloped edge. The wedding dress was absolutely beautiful and it was so inexpensive to make. I was so proud of my Mom when she did that for my friend and classmate. I have wonderful memories of my mother sewing. I have wonderful memories sewing with my mother. When my Mom was in a nursing later in life, she was in need of clothes. My brother was the only one who was still living near Mom & Dad, so I asked him to send me an outfit that fit Mom. I was living in Nevada by then. I took the outfit apart...made a pattern...put the outfit back together and sent him the original along with a new one. It was my turn in life to sew for my Mom after all she did for us as kids. I miss her dearly, but every time I look at her sewing machine, my "Tootsie", I think of Mom. Then there's a smile on my face.