View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 PM
sammygirlqt

Originally Posted by hperttula123 View Post
That is very pretty. Was it hard to line the black up in the center of the blocks? I love the black in there, it makes the diamonds just pop!!!
Yes it is important to get that center strip centered, but don't stress over it as you can see one of mine is not dead on. I use a glue stick when I am sewing on muslin but, of course, that doesn't work on a dryer sheet. It is equally or more important when you trim to have that corner right in the middle of the black. This is why it is good to have some hangover on the dryer sheets as they are not all equal. Someone asked about the quilting, it is me on my treadle sewing machine. If I sew on a muslin foundation, I don't do as much quilting as everything is secure. I alwayse outline the center line and then just a bit inside each block. Using the dryer sheet required more quilting. For myself, future diamond shaped string quilts will be sewn on a muslin foundation. It is alwayse fun to experiment with something new, but I like the regular way better.