Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by wanabquilter View Post
I love applique, but I am not really good at it. ..... I really like hand needle work
I do, too. Stuff to do while "watching" tv or waiting in the doctor's office. I just finished the last block in my second applique top and until I get the right fabrics for the next one, I'm somewhat at a loss for what to do with my hands. I can't just sit and watch tv.

The first hand applique I did was not very good, but I made 18 pairs of 12" Sunbonnet Sue and Suspender Sam for a swap. I used Eleanor Burns' method with fusible interfacing and that made sense to me and it worked out pretty well.

A couple of years later, I started the needle-turn project and the first few blocks I did with that were NOT very pretty, but they got a lot better as I went along.

The first one I made with the starch method of preparation was not pretty, either, but by the time I got to the last block, it was acceptable.

I think the stitches on the best ones are closer than the ones that aren't so good. They're also tucked back under the edge of the piece when you go back into the background. You can't see where the thread is going down into the background on the best pieces. Also on the nicest looking pieces, the needle catches fewer threads of the appliqued piece than the pieces which don't look as nice.

I think that it also helps to use a fine thread that melts into the applique piece. I get away with neutrals most of the time - light, medium or dark and either warm (tan) or cool (grey).

I use Bottom Line - which I realize is somewhat heretical because it's polyester, but it's great to work with and it's almost invisible. I've tried a bunch of different threads, but I really love Bottom Line for hand applique. I was hoping that the new Connecting Threads Pro would be comparable, but it's really awful for hand work. Despite beeswax and Thread Heaven, it tangles and knots and shreds - problems I don't have with Bottom Line. The Pro thread is absolutely perfect in the machine, though, so I have the feeling it has to do with the twist or finish on the thread.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you. Use tools and materials that don't get in your way and then it's just a matter of practice. Keep it up - since you already love hand work, I'll bet applique becomes an obsession for you in short order.