View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i've tried to machine bind a couple quilts over the years- i've used the decorative stitch technique- the stitch in the ditch technique- and the straight stitch down the top technique- never have i been happy with the outcome- to me it just diminishes all the work that went into making the quilt by doing an (inadequate) rush job on the binding.
i know some people use glue- there are lots of tips for doing it- the look though---that i guess is a matter of personal choice- and i'm not one to ever think it looks ok- to me it just looks---
like i rushed the end...so i don't do them that way anymore- unless they are for a charitable organization that stipulates the bindings are to be machine attached (yes some do stipulate that) but if it's not a requirement- i take the time to hand stitch-
i've found that i have become quite fast at it --- can do a queen size quilt binding in a couple hours...usually sitting in front of a movie-stitching away- by the end of the movie- i am reaching the end of the binding.
i know some people always machine bind their quilts- and like how they turn out- my hat is off to them- i have just never managed to make one look anywhere close to acceptable- and after all the work of the quilt---to ruin it with the binding...
i'm sure the ones who are good at it will give you lots of great tips to help you finish up your quilts- i do think it's a look you have to get used to though- don't be hard on yourself- it's not going to look like a hand stitched binding- so don't expect it to-
good luck getting your quilts done.