Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
A couple of months ago a friend gave me a 1903 White Rotary machine with no cabinet, and a strange piece of wood that went with it. After some research, I found out this was one of the first White Rotary machines that were made for just a few years, before they changed to the White Rotary name to White Family Rotary with a whole different cover plate for the bobbin area. I posted the machine and the wooden hole cover. Several people wrote me hoping to buy the little wooden hole cover, but I wanted to find a cabinet for my White and the wooden hole cover.
The same friend that brought me the machine called on Friday and said he had been at an estate sale that had a White cabinet that he thought was the correct one. It had no machine, just a cabinet. I high tailed it over there on Saturday morning, and sure enough, it was the right one. It is a bit rough and will need Glen's wood treatment, but for $35.00, was a good deal. Now there is one more waiting in line to be restored. My White Rotary and the wooden hole cover fit it like a hand in a glove. Here is the cabinet and the White that I have already restored, sitting pretty. You can see the wooden hole cover at the left of the machine. The treadle irons attach to the bottom of the drawers, so the irons are only about 20" tall. Many of them have been used to make coffee tables, like the Singer ones are used for regular tables. I don't even want to think about what happens to all those machines that are removed.

Texas Jan
Texas Jan, that cabinet looks a lot like the cabinet my Eldredge Two Spools sits in, except the Two Spools doesn't say "White" on the cabinet treadle.

I am at the point with my treadles that I only 'want' the treadles now that have a name on them - like the White that says 'White' on the irons, the Davis, etc. I am getting very picky!

Congratulations on your new cabinet - it will clean up really nice!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 12-05-2011 at 06:28 AM.