Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Kas

I would suggest picking out the quilting past where you want to cut the quilt and then be careful not to cut that length of thread off. Then you have enough to secure the quilting so it doesn't continue to unravel. I also agree with the applique idea. I was just reading in a book by the AQS saying to take a section of window screen big enough to fit the bottom and sides of your tub and cover the edges so they are not sharp. Put the screen in the tub, put the quilt in an accordian shape on it and fill tub with cool water. Make sure the water isn't hitting the quilt itself. Hold onto the screen and pull it, quilt and all, up and then let it down again several times so the water is going through the quilt, but you aren't mashing on the fibers. Drain the tub, then pull the side of the screen over to the other side to sort of squish the quilt gently. You will need to lay it out over a clean white sheet on the grass with another sheet over it. Yep. Wait till spring or summer! Yikes! But do check for colorfastness before getting it wet. Do that with plain water on a qtip that you rub gently in a less obvious spot. If the color comes off on the qtip, well, you are asking for a muddy mess if you wash it. Keep us updated on your progress with pics! And good luck.