View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
wvdek

I was diagnosed about 20 years ago after many doctors said they could not find anything and that it was in my head. Finally found a doctor who was trained in it.
I used to have it really bad and was on alot of diff. meds such as the Lyrica and Cymbalta. However the side effects for me were not worth it.
I had massages every week for years. chiro., and such. I still use the rice bags for my shoulder and neck area as that seems to be where most of my pain is centered now. DH massages me whenever I ask for it.
I stay away from artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame as that has caused me severe headaches in the past. My DH and DD get headaches from it too.
I also have to stay away from MSG which comes in more foods than you can imagine. My DH gets a headache for three days if he has it.
I changed from regular milk to Goats milk because of a lactose intolerance and I believe it has helped many other things as well such as my calcium intake.
The biggest change was the doctor who told me to start taking 1500 mgs a day of Feverfew to help the aches and pains. I have a bad flareup about once a year, but only lasts about a week if that.
The days of lying in bed for days on end, the depression, and most of all the pain are pretty much a thing of the past for me.
I learned I had to do positive thinking, alot of praying, and make myself get up and do a little bit at a time. Gentle stretches several times a day, staying flexible, and staying active are very helpful. The old saying of 'use it or lose it' applies to this disease.
I learned I had a diagnoses but that I did not have to give in to it. I was not going to let it ruin my life or keep me from doing the things I wanted to. I have earned my Phlebotomy certificate and finished all but one class for my degree as a Medical Assistant. Keep fighting it.